Monday, August 07, 2006

It's been a while...

I just have a few updates to make and some comments on a few subjects that have been bothering me for the last couple of months (it's also been a long time since my last entry, so I might as well just go all out and have some fun with this one.)

I want to touch briefly first, upon an observation I made a while back while on the way back from Wendy's (best nuggets ever), and that is what I call, Average Joeism. Average Joeism is my technical name for what others may call blind ignorance, or ignorant assesment. This stems from a couple of things, but I will only go into the main one for now. Because I do work for a large electronics retailer, I have seen many things that have either irked me, or solidified my confidence in mankind. Today was a day for the former.

Now I know most of you have no idea who I am, but lets get one thing straight, the Mac commercials are the worst commercials I have ever seen, and I will explain why. They just don't work. That's it, they simply do not do an adequate job of explaing exactly why I (the target demographic mind you) would want or need to get a Mac. What the commercials have done is create a large number of Average Joes (hence average joeism) who then think they know a lot about computers and problems that seem to only plague PCs. Lets get one thing straight, the Mac does nothing for you that you can't do freely with the applications built into Windows, or one of a million applications written by someone out there to help you out.

People come into the store touting names like Intel, and HP, and never think that maybe the other brand, AMD, might have a product that is better suited for their needs. They ask if AMD is a different type of Pentium, they think that because they saw a commercial that said Intel inside, that the correct product for them is that one. Well let me put it this way, most people who go to a store to buy a computer shoud probably stick with the AMD, it's cheaper and for most if not all tasks it will match or beat the current generation Intels. These are the type of people that will not listen to a shred of sense that you give them. The type of people that want to talk to the tech because they think they have a clue about anything inside their computers, the people that ask "technical" questions and have no idea how to digest the clearly stated answer. These people are the Average Joes, they live among us, they could be our friends, neighbors, or family, and they are coming to take you with them into their world of ignorance. It is up to you to be the judge of what information to follow and who to trust, but let me give you a word of advice. Anyone who speaks with great confidence about a field they are not employed in, or haev not studied in great detail, is lying to you straight and narrow, so you must be aware of peopel willing and wanting to take advantage of your ignorance.

That's all I have to say about that!

No comments: